We are very excited to announce that Little buffalo magazine is now officially open for story submissions from writers, whether aspiring or established!
We get super excited when we can collaborate with authors and talented illustrators form around the world, so we have flung open our doors as we would love to hear from you.
What is Little Buffalo magazine?
Little Buffalo is an interactive, artistic magazine and learning platform that teaches English to children aged 6 years old and onwards. Little Buffalo takes an imaginative approach to teaching, focusing on creative techniques to stimulate learning and with an emphasis on cultural and ethical exploration.
Our platform is for all children and especially those struggling with literacy and learning English as a second language.
Would you like to see your children’s story published in Little Buffalo magazine?
Little Buffalo Submissions Guidelines;
This is what we are looking for…
• A short contemporary story (not a poem or story told in verse) appropriate for girls and boys aged 5 to 10.
• Your story should be between 300 and 700 words long.
• Your story should be original and should not plagiarise any other existing content or retell traditional folk tales, legends or fairy tales.
• Your story should not have been published before.
• Your story must be in the English language, though we accept submissions from all over the world.
• We can accept submissions from writer/illustrator teams too
• We aren’t looking for serialised stories – just self-contained short stories.
• We accept submissions by email only, ideally in Word (.doc or .docx) or other Mac-friendly word processing programs. Please don’t send links to click and download files. Please also use a standard, easy-to-read font, like Helvetica (please, please not Comic Sans).
• Please don’t send stories in picture book formats.
• Email your story submission to: email@example.com. Please put the words ‘Story Submission’ in the email subject heading and include your name and story title in the email itself.
Once you’ve submitted your story, here’s what happens…
• We will read every submission that follows our guidelines, but we’re a very small team, so we cannot reply to submissions that aren’t successful. Sorry! We also don’t have the time to offer advice to individuals. If you don’t hear back from us, please assume you can submit to other magazines.
• We will aim to reply to successful submissions within 3 months.
• The editor has the right to request revisions and also do reasonable edits on each accepted story to make it as good as possible.
• The Little Buffalo team may select and commission the illustrations to go with each story.
• If your story is selected, you will be credited in the magazine, receive a copy of the magazine with your story in it. We will send you a commissioning form to confirm this.
Hints and tips for aspiring Little Buffalo writers…
• Little Buffalo magazine has a focus audience of children who are struggling or learning English.
• Kids love stories that entertain them, engage them, excite them, surprise them, teach them something new or unexpected, or challenge them to think differently. They especially love stories that make them laugh, but please… no farts.
• We’d love to see stories with diverse characters.
• We’re looking for contemporary stories but limit the fables, reworked fairy tales, myths or legends.
• We love good spelling, grammar and punctuation – we can’t stress this enough. It is an English magazine after all.
• No synopsis or cover letter required. We’re mainly interested in the quality of your story. If you want to write something about yourself, please keep it brief. A few sentences at most will do.
• Don’t think lack of experience will put us off. The first thing we do when we get a submission is read the story. Only if it’s good do we then read the email. We don’t care if it’s the first story you’ve ever written. The quality and originality of the story is more important than anything else.
• Please do follow our guidelines if you wish your work to be considered.
We hope that helps and has got you excited! We’re genuinely thrilled at the prospect of reading your stories. This is an exciting new era for Little Buffalo and something we’ve wanted to do for quite a while.
So what are you waiting for? This is your chance to be an important part of our readers’ happy childhood memories and to help us create a nation of joyful and passionate readers, and imaginative thinkers. We look forward to hearing from you.
Wishing you all the very best of luck,
The Little Buffalo team.